Friday, March 18, 2016

Feb. 28

There's a new initiative in the mission: Ride the Bikes! We love riding bikes, because we can talk to all the people we see. Our area this week has been a bit different, we really have tried to apply the bikes every day. I think it will also teach us how to use them more effectively with the time that we have. It also can take just so long to get 1 kilometre! There are so many people to see and talk to, it's really interesting. It's one of my favourite parts of missionary work, meeting all these different people and getting to know their story a little bit. It's a good thing no one really asks for my story, cause I'm still figuring that one out :)

Funny story from this week, we were walking along the footpath, having a good conversation with someone, when out of nowhere this branch appears and my hair got caught on it! I tried to brush it away and just keep walking, but I kind of got stuck...so embarrassing it took me a little bit to untangle myself from this tree, and my companion is just trying her best not to laugh at me, and I just looked like a fool.

Another thing about Australia that no one ever tells you about are the flies. These massive flies are everywhere, and they love to land on you and take a ride. The buzzing around your face and ears in so annoying, but of course no one can see the flies, just you waving your arms around your face. I have also heard it called the Australian Salute, just waving your arm across your face to make the flies go away.

On a more spiritual note, we had a really good lesson with Losena this week about family history. For those who don't know, the Church of Jesus Christ has a big emphasis on family history work. The doctrine of it comes from 1 Corinthians 15:29, "Else what shall they do which are baptised for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptised for the dead?" The original church of Christ performed baptisms for the dead, to enable those who have passed on to receive the blessings that come from being baptised a member of Christ's church. That is why we do so much family history, to help our ancestors receive for themselves the blessings of the gospel. These are very special people who sacrificed so much, and I am so grateful for the family I have, both living and dead. Losena was really excited to do some of her family history, if just for now to get to know her ancestors a little more.
The gospel has so many things that make us even happier than before, and I am so grateful for all that I have learned, from the scriptures, from family, from teachers, and from our Savior Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus Christ stands at the head of the church, directing us through a living prophet today (Amos 3:7). Thank you all for your prayers and support, have an amazing week!


Love Sister Townsend

No comments:

Post a Comment