Sunday, November 15, 2015

What Lack I Yet?

Recently we had General Conference, which is the time when our prophet and apostles can speak to us and give us modern day guidance on how God wants us to be living our lives. One talk that really stood out to me was called What Lack I Yet? by Larry Lawrence. He based his talk on the scripture found in Matthew 19:20. This is a story of the rich young man, who kept all the commandments and went to Jesus to ask what more he could do to achieve eternal life. In response to this, Jesus gave him very direct and personalized counsel that if he did, he would be closer to reaching that goal. Unfortunately, this man was not able to follow this counsel, and I don't know what happened to him. But the principle we learn from this is powerful. God knows each of us, our strengths and our weaknesses. When we ask what more we can do, He will tell us. This is something I've really been trying to implement in my life recently. It is so wonderful to be here in Australia serving a mission. I am here as a representative of Jesus Christ. But am I doing all in my power to fulfil my purpose here? There is always something we can improve on. When we sincerely ask God, He will tell us what to do. I've done that this week, and seen the blessings from it. That's my invitation this week, to ponder how we can each individually improve our lives, starting with the little things! Unless you want to do something big, by all means go for it :)

Something interesting about serving here in Australia is that there are missionaries here from all over. I was on a trade-off this week, where we trade companions for 24 hours to see how other missionaries work. We were riding bikes up this big hill, and I was just going and going, trying to make it to the top without stopping. But when I looked back, I could barely see my companion! She is from the Philippines, and likes to ride bikes much more slowly :)


No comments:

Post a Comment